Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What A Weekend!

Well everyone, this weekend turned out to be much busier than I'd expected. I had a concert scheduled this past Friday night, but I had to do it without Josh, since he seemed to have a case of the flue. I'll admit that I was a bit nervous, but it actually went really well. The next day I was working at Dairy Queen when I got a call from my older brother Mark. He said that He and Andrea were scheduled to sing in a concert that night, but had no voice because he was so sick. He had been sick for a couple of days, and was wondering if I could get off of work early enough in time to fill in for him at the church with his wife. I agreed and was able to get off early, but the only problem was that although I know nearly all of Mark's songs before the intro is even past the first measure, I don't know the harmony parts to most of them (hearing harmony has never been one of my strong points, unless I spend a modest amount of time focused on learning it!). Our solution was to have Andrea sing a few songs that featured her and could do without Mark's part, and then I would sing or play a couple, and then she would sing the harmonies to a couple of my songs that she knew (she is a freak of nature when it comes to being able to hear and pick up a part instantly!).
Anyway, the Saturday night concert went very well. It went so well that some people asked if WE (ME and ANDREA) could come back next year! It went so well that Mark asked if I could help out again the next morning and sing with her in the morning service. I agreed, and although I wasn't originally supposed to preach, I found out that they wanted me to after all! I guess it went well, because a couple of kids came forward at the invitation to be saved.
That night Mark went with us, but he still could just barely sing. He sang a little with Andrea, did one solo, then I helped out by singing and playing my songs and they joined in on a few. We had a fantastic night, and the pastor asked to book Josh and I formally for a later date.
I wound up doing four concerts in three days this weekend, which was a lot more than I'd planned on doing, but I loved every minute of it!
I'd better sign off now, because all of that singing this past weekend got me a little behind in my homework for college!

God's been good!
Stephen

No comments: