Sunday, September 26, 2010

Singing last Friday, plus jr. church surprise!

This past weekend, Josh and I were busy in very different ways than normal.
On Friday, Josh and I sang for a multi-group concert that we were added to at the last minute. I met the lady that hosted the event at Mark & Andrea Forester's Homecoming concert two weeks ago. She sat next to me, and before the night was over, we had been added to the upcoming event.
Back to this weekend. The place was absolutely packed, and the event featured 11 different current groups, as well as reunions of a couple of great Michigan groups from the past!
This Sunday, we did not have any bookings, so Josh and I went to our home church at Dixie Baptist, and had a very unusual morning service. Mom teaches jr. church, and since we have both been gone a lot lately, she asked us to come into her class to help out. The kids had been clamoring for me to do another magic show for weeks, so I went to fulfill that request.
But just as Mom was starting the class, several of her kids burst through the door singing "Happy Birthday Mrs. Forester" at the top of their lungs! Mom's birthday was this past Thursday, and some of the kids got their mother and one of the other jr. church workers to make a huge batch of cupcakes for a birthday surprise! Most of the other kids brought her homemade cards and special presents too, and we found ourselves in the middle of a party!
I went ahead with the magic, and it was great. We have a girl in Mom's class that has been struggling with some hard health problems, and she has been waiting to see me do magic again for a while. She's being promoted to the teen group, so today may have been the last show that she will see me do, and I felt honored to do it for her, as well as the other kids.
I started thinking about how Jesus loved children and always encouraged "the little children to come unto me", and days like this make me see why. It was also one of those days that reminded us why the Bible calls children "an heritage of the Lord".
Usually, when my family goes to church, we go there with the hope of ministering to other people and trying to be a blessing and encouragement to others. This time, however, the tables were turned, and the kids and workers at Dixie Baptist Church were a wonderful blessing to us!

-Stephen

No comments: