Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Drama of Dairy Queen- by Stephen

I think that I have mentioned here in the past that I have a part-time job at Dairy Queen. It's not the highest paying job on the planet, (made obvious by the fact that I am currently receiving financial support from a ten-year old boy in Zimbabwe) but it has raised some much-needed funds for our ministry. Anyway, recently I was at work when disaster struck.......Chuck Norris announced that he was running for President!
OK, it wasn't that bad, but it was a bit embarrassing. Someone pulled up to the drive-through and ordered some food and a coffee. It was going to take a couple of minutes to make the food fresh, so we asked if they could pull through and around to the other side to park and we would bring it out to them as soon as it was done.
But while we were waiting for the food to finish dripping off grease, Daryl, my manager, asked me to go make the coffee. I immediately began fasting and praying for a miracle, because I knew that that would be the only way I could accomplish this task! You see, I have never been able to swallow a sip of coffee in my life, (I'm pretty sure that it's made from devil's blood) so if I don't even drink it, how should I know how to make it?
I panicked. Daryl seemed to know that something was wrong, so he started telling me how to add the coffee mix and make the hot water come out of the coffee-making spicket . Normally you would fill the pot first and then pour the cup, but since we were in a hurry he said to pour it strait into the cup......but as the coffee line neared the top of the cup, I wondered " What do I do after the cup is full?"
The next thing that I remember was hot coffee spilling all over my hand and all over the floor as I shook in such a panic that I thought I was having a seizure! (had I been in my right mind I might have thought to put the stupid pot under the stupid thingy!) That wasn't embarrassing enough....now I had to take the coffee and the food outside. I set the coffee down (thank God) and went to grab the food. I was supposed to take them out together, but I started out the door with just the food, and promptly slipped on a wet floor and fell flat on my (Blessed Assurance).
Yeah, it was quite the day. But I must say that I have learned a lot from working there. For one thing, I have learned temperance and patience. This job has caused soooooo much grief at times that I had to learn how to properly handle that I think God has helped me prepare for the ministry. I have also learned compassion for those who do not know the Lord. I have seen that they really are good people who need him, and it has moved me to pray for them and be a witness for Christ.
Wow! I guess God can teach you a lot even in a fast food restaurant

-Stephen

1 comment:

Adam Wallace said...

Sounds like a disaster Stephen.

I'm glad you're okay though.